I feel as if I did worse than usual on my goals for 2011, but that could be due to getting a bunch of them done early, with not many coming in the second half of the year.
The ones I accomplished:
- Celebrate my birthday. Done.
- Top 50% at the CrossFit Open. Top 41%.
- Run the second “season” of my roleplaying campaign.. Technically I only ran the first half of the second season, six sessions, but there was plenty of plot progression so I think it’s fair to call this accomplished.
The partial successes:
- Finish and publish PyWordCount. It’s really close to finished, it’s in a plugin form of its own with its own github repository, but it’s lacking the final documentation and polish that would really make calling it done possible.
- Miscellaneous fitness goals. Not many of these, but I did get one:
- 400-pound deadlift. Done
I failed, however, to get any of the rest:
- 20 strict pullups. Not even close. I can probably only do 11 consecutively right now.
- 30 kipping pullups. I haven’t really tried; I might be able to do this, but only butterfly-style, and that would mean taking a significant risk with my shoulder, which I’m unwilling to do.
- 5K in 23:00. Nowhere close. I think the best 5K I ran in 2011 was over 26 minutes.
- “Murph” in under 50:00. Nope. In fairness, this did depend on my being able to do kipping pullups. I did improve my best time with strict pullups to 66:39.
- 48" box jump. I’d forgotten this was a goal, and didn’t work on it. I didn’t get close; I think my best is about 43", which is a long way short.
- “Helen” in 12:00 (strict pullups). I got closer, beating 13:00 for the first time with 12:48, and I think that it’s possible that I could get it next year.
The first half of the year was fantastic for my fitness, but the second half far less so. I need to get committed again next year, and will probably be adopting most of these goals again for 2012.
The goals I failed to accomplish:
- One major creative project. No. This is the biggest failure of the year in my eyes, and it bothers me because I really thought I’d get significant headway on my current project after I got started on it in November. I couldn’t keep that momentum going, however, and will just have to try again next year.
- Finish AFBH. No. I didn’t even do one of the remaining episodes. Getting started on this one is pretty tough, for whatever reason.
- Make progress in building a sense of community for myself. It’s not that there’s none of this in my life, but I don’t think I really did much about it this year, and that’s why I’m listing it as not accomplished.
A quasi-goal that warrants mention:
- From August 2006 to August 2011, I posted to my blog at least five times per week (once per day, in the first year). I decided to call a halt to that schedule and move to once per week, but the five years of posting so regularly was an accomplishment, and I’m proud of my output over that time. So while that wasn’t a goal for the year per se, it was still a goal, and I’m counting it as a success. As is, for that matter, posting weekly since, and I’ll probably make posting weekly a goal for 2012.
I feel so-so about my goals for 2011. Not having completed a major creative project bothers me, and I would have liked to have continued my strong fitness progress from the first half of the year. Hopefully I’ll get back on track in 2012.